The Internal Audit Services (IAS) department assists Lab management at all levels in assessing financial and administrative risks, and evaluating controls designed to address these risks.
The Berkeley Lab Internal Audit function is conducted in accordance with the internal audit clause in Contract 31 and under the general guidance of the University of California.
IAS conducts reviews of administrative systems and controls to enhance compliance with contract requirements, Lab policies, DOE and government regulations; strengthen accountability and financial integrity; and assess economy, efficiency, and effectiveness. IAS also provides external audit coordination with various agencies in their review of the Lab’s financial data and administrative controls.
To enhance and protect LBNL organizational value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, audit, and investigation services.
Internal Audit shall be independent organizationally and in attitude and appearance. IAS reports directly to senior Lab management (Lab Organization Chart will open in new window). In case there is impairment to the independence of the auditor, the auditor shall decline to perform the engagement, or state the impairment in the scope section of the audit report.
- We will be a customer-focused support organization that provides value-added audit and consulting services to assist in the achievement of the Lab’s goals and performance objectives and in compliance with contract requirements.
- We will be regarded as a valued resource by management, staff, and our audit clients. We will provide superior service and perform audits and studies in a spirit of partnership with objectivity, fairness, openness, and in accordance with the highest professional and ethical standards. We will provide Berkeley Lab with an institutional perspective on audit issues to assist in the seamless integration of operational, administrative, and technical resources.
- We will work to deliver customer satisfaction. We believe in respecting our customers, listening to their requests, understanding their expectations, and delivering products and services, in a timely and cost-competitive manner, that meet agreed-upon standards.
- We will promote teamwork, efficiency, innovation, workforce diversity, and the development of the individual by encouraging participation, mutual support, candor, creativity, personal excellence, continuing education, and challenging standards of performance.
- We continually improve our auditing and consulting programs and strive toward technological and industry leadership. We will support the pursuit of professional advancement and the sharing of knowledge and experience with our peers.
It is the policy of Internal Audit Services to conduct audits and advisory services in accordance with The International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing. IAS shall exercise due professional care in the performance of all of its projects.